Thursday, January 5, 2012

a little tweaking

People keep asking me if it's been hard to adjust to being home, and at first, it wasn't. I'd get asked that question, and I was just so excited to be home that I could easily answer no, that it wasn't so bad--that I was doing fine and loving being home. And, I am doing fine, and I am loving being home. I love being with my family. And, I really really do...I love it. I love being in the country again where everything is so quiet. Right now, I am sitting on our back porch in the quiet, watching the birds, hearing only their little chirps. I told Mom the other day: ya' know, you just don't appreciate the quiet country until you've lived in the city.

I mean, Baton Rouge can be a little noisy at times, but Valparaíso seemed louder. Particularly in my bedroom. Dogs were always barking, and I could always hear the neighbors if they were at all speaking above a whisper. And, they always were. Chileans can be loud. I'm not criticizing--I love their colorful, loud culture. Anyway, take a bunch of barking dogs, loud Chileans and houses that are built practically on top of each other, and it's just noisy.

Anyway, adjusting to home...it has been hard at times. It was one of those things that I didn't even realize was happening. A reality didn't hit me. I didn't wake up and realize that I was in America and not in Chile anymore. It was something that sneeked up on me. I didn't realize it was happening. I just got sad, overwhelmingly. I felt like I was withdrawing. Chileans can be very indifferent and distant at times. It's one thing that drove me crazy about them. But, I felt like I was doing that very thing. I felt like I was detaching myself and withdrawing.

But, God is always beside me, thank goodness. And, His Word wakes me up and sets me free. The scripture always pulls me out of sadness or depression. Romans 12:2 always speaks to my heart. "Do not conform to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." It's like a puff of oxygen in the face that makes me inhale and fill my lungs with air again.

I was reminded of Proverbs 3, and it encouraged me a lot. I like to hold on to it all day. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." My memory is really terrible, so I am so thankful He gave us His Word. I am so thankful that he remembers that I am weak, and I need reminding.

I was comforted by the words of Luke 12:32. "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom." I am one of those weak, little sheep, but I am a part of that flock that belongs to the King. I was comforted and humbled and so so thankful that He is my King.

I've been going to the woods with my dad a lot. I love being with my dad. And, I love being able to sit and be. I love sitting in the quiet and watching the sunset and not having to think of anything to say. Just being.

The woods are so beautiful and peaceful. So, I took some pics. :)





Since I've been home, I have been able to spend time with my best friend, Courtney. And, I've missed her so much. I'm looking forward to living with her again. I love her like a sister. I've never had a sister, but she's about as close as it comes.
I visited my dear friend, Jess in Shreveport the other day. She lives in Boston now, but she and her husband came home for Christmas to be with their family. I am so thankful that God gave us the opportunity to spend some time together. She's seen me at some tough times, and she has always been a friend through the thick and thin. God has really used her in my life. And, it's such a blessing to see a friend who lives so far away.
New Year's Eve was a really great day. New Year's Eve morning, I went on a 30 mile bike ride--my first ride since being home. I bucked a head wind the whole time, but it was a great ride. Nothing like waking you up than 30 miles with the wind in your face. As the pristine sky that graced me the whole bike ride began to cloud over, my dad and I canoed on the Boeuf River to the deer stand. Canoeing is the most peaceful thing. Well, my dad was doing all the work by paddling while I was sitting at the front. haha, so it really wasn't fair, but we only had one paddle. In the stand, the night fell as we watched some bucks that were way too far away. As we canoed back in the dark, some sprinkles fell and threatened rain (which never came). I thought, This is the best day.

Still adjusting and being reminded of His grace, I say chao from the back porch.

Love,
Sophie

"A New Day at Midnight" --David Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment